Sunday, November 9, 2008

What is so threatening about same sex marriage?

I have been in an outerspace time warp for the past two weeks and landed back on our planet ecstatic to find that we will have our first African American president. This joy became bittersweet upon learning that Prop 8 passed in California!?! I am in an "opposite" sex marriage and I don't find same sex marriage threatening to me or my family in the least. Perhaps this is because of biases that I hold. However, I am having real problems understanding why the possibility of people of the same sex marrying is so difficult for 52% of Californians. Same sex marriage does not threaten opposite sex marriage or the future of our nation.

After the passage of proposition 8, Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese wrote, "In recent years, I’ve been delivering this positive message: tell your story. Share who you are. And in fact, as our families become more familiar, support for us increases."
Read more here

With hope that familiarity with same sex marriage will help to create support, here are some non threatening images of same sex marriage, a funny comic, a collage of images from a heterosexual wedding that I find much more threatening than any of the others, an interracial wedding photo, and an Indian wedding.

This is a photo from Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon on their wedding day in June of 2008. This was the second time they had married. Their first marriage was overruled by the California courts. They were together from the early 1950's until Del's death in August. They were activists for many years and helped found the Daughters of Bilitis.
Lyon-Martin Marriage Pictures, Images and Photos

The rest are my found image commentary on a variety of types of weddings and marriages.




same sex marriage Pictures, Images and Photos

The Wedding Pictures, Images and Photos

Marriage Pictures, Images and Photos





1 comment:

  1. I like read information about marriage, is very interesting, I would like get more amazing post for reading more information about this!

    ReplyDelete