Sunday, November 9, 2008

Silverton, Oregon's New Mayor...

Huffington Post reports here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/09/americas-first-transgende_n_142503.html that Stu Rasmussen has become the United States' first trangender mayor. He has been involved in local politics for 20+ years and has already served two terms as mayor in Silverton. He won by a margin of 476 votes out of 3500 votes, according to Huffington Post.

In the video below from the website oregonlive.com, Rasmussen says, "I've blackmail-proofed myself," when he discusses being out as a man who dresses in women's clothes and has breast implants.

At the same time that California was passing Proposition 8, this small town in Oregon has elected a trans man as Mayor. I am impressed. I appreciate Stu's challenge to gender performance that we have been learning about in class. While Prop 8's passage makes me lose some hope, this man's election reminds me how far LGBT people have come.









No comments:

Post a Comment